Flood relief and points of contact for residents of NSW and Queensland | Bendigo Advertiser

news, breaking news, floods, weather, NSW, QLD

As floods ravage Queensland and New South Wales, thousands of people have been forced to flee their homes for higher ground. The cleanup should take months. As recovery begins for some, here’s a guide ACM has put together on how and where to get help. EVACUATIONS All evacuation orders are announced by the State Emergency Service (SES) on ses.nsw.gov.au for NSW and QFES qfes.qld.gov.au in Queensland. A list of all NSW evacuation centers can also be found here. You can also contact emergency services for flood-related assistance on 132 500 for NSW and Queensland. For life-threatening emergencies, always call 000. When you call SES, the operator asks you the following: FIND PEOPLE You can log your movements, as well as find family and friends in flooded areas, on the register .To find. Bring together the website. FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE The federal government offers a Disaster Recovery Payment which is a lump sum payment of $1,000 for an eligible adult and $400 for an eligible child under 16 years of age. This can be claimed through your MyGov account. You can claim this payment if you have been seriously affected as a direct result of the flooding. This applies if your home has been seriously damaged or destroyed, you have been seriously injured or you are an immediate family member of a deceased or missing Australian citizen or resident. To be eligible for payment, you or a dependent child must meet all of the following conditions: You can also apply for Disaster Recovery Benefit for up to 13 weeks, if you have lost income due to flooding. For those without an internet connection, Services Australia’s 180 22 66 phone hours have been extended to 8am-7pm Monday-Friday and 10am-4pm at weekends. QUEENSLAND The Queensland Government is providing the Emergency Relief Grant to those directly affected by the floods, to help meet immediate essential needs such as food, clothing, medical supplies and temporary accommodation. If eligible, applicants can receive $180 per person or up to $900 for a family of five or more. Emergency hardship assistance is not subject to income or asset conditions. To be eligible, applicants must meet all of the following criteria: You can apply online through the Community Recovery Portal, by calling the Community Recovery Helpline on 1800 173 349 or by visiting a Community Recovery Center at its opening. NEW SOUTH WALES The NSW Government also provides a disaster relief grant administered by Resilience NSW. You may be eligible for financial assistance if the following conditions apply: ANIMALS If you find injured or sick wild animals, contact the RSPCA Animal Emergency Hotline 24/7 on 1300 ANIMAL (1300 264,625). The New South Wales government has opened an emergency animal welfare helpline for farmers, landowners and communities affected by flooding in northern New South Wales. South for immediate assistance in the event of trapped, injured or perished livestock. The emergency helpline for livestock or animal welfare issues is 1800 814 647. MENTAL HEALTH For mental health support you can contact Lifeline on 13 11 14. The line is open 24 hours a day. 24 and 7/7. For all other flood-related inquiries, you can contact the 24-hour Public Information Center (PIIC) on 1800 227 228


Comments are closed.